Headaches are common condition.
What is headache?
Headaches are a common cause of pain and discomfort, and most people will have headaches at some time in their lives.
The term ‘headache’ covers any pain around the head, face or neck area.
There are two main types of headache:
- primary – which often “just happen” and are not caused by another injury or illness
- secondary – which are caused by some underlying health condition.
Primary headaches are very common. They include Tension headaches, migraine, cluster headaches, and cervicogenic headaches.
Primary headaches can be caused by a number of things including:
- eye strain or squinting
- poor posture
Secondary headaches are caused by some underlying medical condition, such as illness. They can be caused by drinking too much alcohol, injury and concussion.
Headaches in women can be caused by hormones, and some women may be able to associate their headaches with their period. Hormonal changes due to taking contraceptive pills, menopause and pregnancy can trigger headaches.
Some people may get headaches from medication side effects, or due to be unwell with a cold, sinusitis, flu or allergic reaction.
What are symptoms of headaches?
Symptoms of headaches may vary depending on the type of headache.
- Sensitive to light and sound, aura
- distorted vision
- light-headedness, dizziness
- severe or throbbing
- mild to moderate pain like a tight band around the head
- pain on both side of the head
- Brought on by stress, inadequate sleep or poor posture
- Pain on one side of the head
- Tearing eyes
- Occurring in patterns or clusters may last from weeks to months
- Headache associated with neck pain
- Aggravated by sustained neck position
- Unilateral pain with a facet irritation
Chiropractic management for headaches
Chiropractor will take a detailed medical history and perform a thorough physical examination to ascertain the cause of the headache. Depending on the type of headache and history the chiropractor may start to treat root of the headache or refer for appropriate medical management.
Contact Us Today to make an appointment for your initial consultation and treatment.